Japanese Print Dealers, Ukiyo-e Dealers, Japanese Print Galleries and Auctions selling Japanese Prints.
Among the Japanese print dealers and galleries listed below, some are general Japanese woodblock print dealers, some are more specific ukiyo-e dealers, shin-hanga dealers or sosaku-hanga dealers. We have tried to note specialties for each entry, as well as owners name and location. Further, we have also included some Japanese print auctions. Also note the list is NOT A LIST OF RECOMMENDED DEALERS.
See list below.
++ List UPDATED January 18th, 2015 ++
This is the only unbiased, non commercial (no paid listings), non spam and regularly updated list of Japanese print dealers on the internet.
How to use the below "A Comprehensive List, Directory and Index of Japanese Print Dealers"
The index consists mainly of dealers who deals in various kinds of Japanese woodblock prints such as Ukiyo-e, Shijo-school, Shin hanga, Sosaku hanga, Modern and Contemporary Japanese prints. Other Edo period Japanese woodblock prints such as maps, sugoroku gameboards, Sendai-e, advertisements are carried by us as well as a few of the below merchants.
We have left out dealers who deals mainly in contemporary Japanese prints.
This is not a list of recommendations. It includes both "The good, the bad and the ugly". You have to do your own research find out who is who.
The largest amount of dealers are located in Japan (only few listed here because of the language barrier), followed by USA. In Europe, you find several dealers in each of UK, Germany and Holland. Most other European countries have a sprinkling of ukiyo-e dealers. Sadly, the country were collecting Japanese prints in the West started, France, have very few dealers left, and no "big" dealer anymore.
We also list some auction houses and internet auctions. Please remember auctions can be a very dangerous minefield for the collector without many years of experience.
This list of Japanese print dealers is regularly updated, if you are interested, please subscribe to get the latest information. Enter your email in the "subscribe" box top, left column.
Japanese Print Dealers, Galleries, Private Dealers and Art Consultants
- Fine Japanese Prints and Paintings PLC, Worldwide Appraisers, Art Consultants and Dealers. Speciality: Museum quality Japanese art. Free appraisals. 40+ years of experience, in depth knowledge of Japanese prints. http://www.japaneseprintappraisal.com/
Below are more Japanese print dealers and galleries. Please remember: This is not a list if recommendations.
Further dealers with ukiyo-e galleries, Japan prints galleries and woodblock prints galleries and without links are;
- Andreas Grund, private dealer in Shin-hanga, Germany and Tokyo, Japan (deals under the name Ukiyo-e Gallery in the USA).
- Hans Peter Kunz, Japanischer Farbholzschnitte, Deutschland
- Henrik Lühl, Japanischer Farbholzschnitt, Osaka-e specialist, Germany
- Jan Lühl, Estampe Japonaise, Paris, France
- Lütz Walters, Kyoto and Germany, Old maps, mainly with Japanese interest,
- Ross Walker, Australia and Omi, Japan. Dealer in Japanese prints in Omi, Japan or maybe Australia?
- Mr. Masaaki Ito, Fuji Arts, Nagoya, Japan, reliable dealer, mainly landscapes and prints of topographical interest. Mr. Ito used to be the main person responsible for Japanese print auctions under the now defunct company JAA (Japanese Art Auction).
- Kumiko Nishi, top-end dealer in Tokyo.
We have tried to mostly select art dealers and galleries, we believe are ethical dealers, However for a some of the merchants there are not a lot known about, so please be very cautious. Please do your research and compare the items well.
The Japanese print dealers listed are for the convenience of the readers of this blog to be able to find Japanese print dealers on the Internet. We know we are alone among all dealers to have a list of the competition. However we think it is important to show other dealers so you can make more informed decisions.
The Internet has empowered some people to seem as reliable and honorable dealers while many times the opposite is true. Especially if you use for example Google, several of the dealers listed on the first two pages are seriously over priced (sometimes 10 times the market price or more) and/or sell inferior material and/or mislabeled/misrepresented material (bad condition, late impressions, reprints, fakes and so on). The only way to avoid this is by doing your own checks and try to find out more information. Internet research does not really work well as many times the "faults" (the rotten "apples" just keep appearing) just gets compounded. (There are also a few good dealers on the first few pages.)
If you do a Google search on "Japanese prints" and think this "Google ranking" is in anyway a reflection of reality, you will go terribly wrong! The ranking neither reflects the quality of websites or the quality of the merchandize. And worst - the honesty and integrity of the business practice of the website owner.
Most of the best don't turn up on the first few search pages, if at all! A couple of the worst turns up on the first pages.IMPORTANT WARNING - A couple of the business appearing on page 1 and 2 when you search for "Japanese prints" are severely overcharging and/or misrepresenting faked prints as genuine. (as of 21/11 2012, Google "unpersonalized" search, search preformed in USA)
Several of the top dealers in the world have no web presence or just a nominal "business card" websites which are very difficult to find. Most of these dealers are not included here. As they are basically not web friendly, nor seems to want business derived from the web. Also most of the dealers in Japan are not included here as they can't communicate in English or any other Western language. We have tried to note the specialties of some dealers.
We encourage you to try to meet as many dealers as possible in person.
The links does not imply we are recommending any of the above Japanese print galleries. You can always contact us in trying to help you contacting any of the galleries or dealers, as we have noted some are very difficult to contact. We can also direct you to suitable dealers in your area or whom be of interest to you.
There are about 350-400 Japanese print dealers in the world, most of which don' have a web presence. Many of the most active (and/or best) dealers have no or just scant web presence.
If you are a dealer and would like to have your information here, get it updated or removed, please contact us.
In auctions you have to be aware there are no returns, usually a strict "caveat emptor"*.
One auction mentioned below sells some fakes as genuine, however we think they actually might not have the expertise to tell the difference, hopefully, rather then having a malicious or fraudulent intent. Here we can not point out whom it is because of legal reasons.
The other auctions are usually reliable even though some makes the occasional mistake. Most of the below auctions you will still will have a better chance to make a good buy then in your local auction house or ebay. However it is usually better to buy the prints from a good dealer rather than at an auction
Ebay is much better avoided by the neophyte collector, even the intermediate collector, with many years of experience, should be very careful and think twice before bidding. There are a sparse few good sellers but the vast majority is somewhat lacking in knowledge and integrity, their merchandise is lacking even more so.
*Caveat emptor is the latin for "let the buyer beware." It is used to indicate that sales are final and due diligence is the sole responsibility of the buyer, before the auction is finished and the sale becomes final.
Due diligence - YOU have to investigate everything is as it seems (Is it genuine?, is it good condition? and so on).
The auctioneer usually can give non committing advice. However if there is something wrong with the prints you bought it is still your problem and you are likely to take the loss, whatever the auctioneer said. If in doubt ask questions and look carefully! If you have good contact with a very professional dealer they might sometimes be able help you with advice.
All this said, most of the non-ebay auctions are reasonably honest and try to do their best.
Read the below with a great deal of caution.
- Christie's, New York, USA, London, England, UK, United Kingdom, www.christies.com
- Sotheby's, New York, USA, London, England, UK, United Kingdom, www.sothebys.com/
- Lempertz, Colonge, Germany,
- Klefisch, Colonge, Germany,
- Kotobuki, (Gottfried & Matthias Ruetz), München, Germany, http://www.kotobuki.de/
- Artelino Auctions, Dieter Wanczura, Icking, München, Germany http://www.artelino.com/f
- Floating World Gallery, (Roberta & Bill (William) Stein), Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, http://www.floatingworld.com/
- Asian Collection Japanese Print Auction, Janice and Paul Knutson, White Marsh, Virginia, USA, http://www.woodblockprint.com/. Stopped auctions.
- Auctions Ukiyo-e, John Rose, London, England, UK, United Kingdom (Update June 2011, THIS SITE HAVE STOPPED) http://www.auctionsukiyoe.com/index.html Link not working.
The Japanese Print Dealers Directory and Index includes:
- Japanese Woodblock Print Dealers and Gallery Directory
- Ukiyo-e Print Dealers and GalleryDirectory
- Shin Hanga Print Dealers and Gallery Directory
- Sosaku Hanga Print Dealers and Gallery Directory
- Japanese Modern Print Dealers and Gallery Directory
- Japanese Print Galleries Directory
- It does not include a Contemporary Japanese Print Dealers and Gallery
Directory. Even though some of the above have some contemporary prints.
find out for yourself about specialties, qualities and prices (and if they.
Japanese Prints — HOME!
*Possible trademarks and/or business names, in the above list, are the property of their respective owners. All rights are reserved to their owners. This website is not affiliated (except Fine Japanese Prints and Paintings PLC) with the trademark holders or business owners and is not intended to provide any advise or information related to any interaction with the above entities/businesses.
Anders Rikardson's Google Author Profile